Dear people of Disney,
I would like to comment on the image you are promoting to young children about their body image. In the movie The Little Mermaid, you are basically telling young girls that it does not matter what they think or say, that the way to get a man is by how your body looks. In the movie, Ariel loses her voice so that can can gain legs and meet the Prince. So she can not talk to the Prince but she uses her body and her body language to get him to fall in love with her. This tells young girls to use their body to get what they want and not to use their words and their minds to fight for what they want. As a child, I loved this movie but I never really thought of the message it was putting out. Now that I see this message, I can look back and definitely say that the message impacted how I acted growing up. I think this is a terrible message to have kids seeing and watch and I think you should make another movie promoting a woman's brains and not her body to get the man. I am not saying that you can no longer sell this movie, just that I think you should make another movie to promote education and learning, so that young girls will see that men do not just like a woman's body but her mind as well.
Thank you for your time,
Concerned audience.
I like this. Being that you didn't take notice of this till now, yet it affected you growing up, what are the ultimate effects of the things we see in Disney movies?
ReplyDeleteIf Disney was to make a movie just like this do you think the movie would be a top seller? Or not because society is use to the women l like Ariel and also like their othrr movies that promote women as dependents?
ReplyDeleteGeral, I think that the effects aren't noticeable to us a children but are noticeable when we get older. I think that we learn what is typically the social norm from these movies, such as girls should be thin, beautiful, and depend on a man and boys should be slim, muscular, and strong. These are the norms that the media shows us every day and so children movies copy them and show young children these images.
ReplyDeleteKelsey, I think if they made a strong movie based on a smart woman, it could be successful. Disney's movie Mulan was about a smart strong woman, who yes at the end gets the man. It still has the normal girl and boy get together at the end and people love that movie. So I think it is possibly to create a children's movie about a smart girl that can get the guy with her brain and not her body.
ReplyDelete