Sunday, September 18, 2011

What is "cool"?

What would you say if someone walked up to you and asked you what is "cool"? I bet if you were to go into the mall and ask what is "cool", you would get many different responses, because everyone's perception of what is 'cool' and what is not is different. For the most part, whatever is 'cool' is whatever is considered the new fashion or what is "in". The problem with this is that it is ever changing because there is no set definition for what is 'cool'. For instance, five years ago when I was in high school, one of the cool things to wear was to wear leggings under skirts with flip flops. Now people wear leggings as pants with flats. Back then, skater shoes such as DC's, Vans, and Etnies were considered 'in' and people wear a lot of different shoes, though girls tend to wear more flats than tennis shoes.




Also, PacSun, American Eagle, and Hollister were the big brands everyone tended to wear to school. Now I see more of a variety of brands of clothing at school then I did back in high school. Five years from now I'm sure people will still be wearing different things than they do now. Some may even look back to now and think 'what was I thinking?' as I'm sure at some point in everyone's life they think that. Basically what I am trying to say is, whatever is considered 'cool' or 'uncool' will always change over time and from different people and cultures you may speak to.

3 comments:

  1. Do you find it funny that some trends or clothing items are "cool" at one time and then after years of basically being considered "not cool", they return to popularity? In a few years from now, do you think it is possible for this to happen to many brands and clothing items"cool" today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with your statements, do you think that the items that are "not cool" now will return in the near future and be "cool"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsey, I do think it's funny that things keep going back in and out of style all the time and I do think that some of the things that are 'cool' now will probably be 'cool' again.

    Kelsey, I do think that items that are 'uncool' now will at some point come back and be 'cool' again, since other fashions have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete