Sunday, September 11, 2011

Did they put "real" in reality television?

If you were to turn on the television, you could probably find many "reality" tv shows, but are they actually real or is it something that producers think the public would want to see? Something that producers make up just to make money and make people addicted to the lives of these so called 'reality stars'. I think that most of these so called "reality" tv shows are just made up to entertain the public. A few of these "reality" tv shows would be The Jersey Shore, The Real Housewives of New Jersey/ New York/ Orange County, and Keeping Up with the Kardashians. 

So this brings me to the question, is there a media text that accurately or adequately depicts me and or my community, and I think there is not. In my opinion, most of the media texts out are what will sell and make the person in control money. I feel that there is a vast majority of the population that is left out of what these media texts says is what text of person we are. Here's an example, I'm Irish but that does not mean that I love to drink beer all the time. I do not really like beer but the media only depicts Irish people as drinking beer all the time because they like to drink. So in short what I am saying is, I  do not think that the media accurately depicts most people because every one is different and we do not all fit into that mold that fits our culture or nationality.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that a vast majority of the population is left out of what the media texts are saying. The depictions in the media are often stereotypical, like your example of all Irish people drinking beer. When I read that, it reminded me of the show Rescue Me. The main character is Irish and a recovering alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about the reality TV shows. Sometimes i don't understand how a lot of people don't get bored of it. If i try watching shows like that i sit there and think "This is all planned out" But do you think they would be allowed to call it a reality TV show if it really wasn't?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you regarding reality TV shows, do you think if these shows were actually depicted of real life people, would these shows be popular and viewed by many?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vaughn, I think if they say it's reality, people will just believe it even if it isn't, so that's why they can get away with calling all of these shows "reality".

    Kelsey, probably not because most people don't really have interesting enough lives for people to get hooked on now a days. The public craves action and comedy, and lets face it, every day is not always packed with action or is funny.

    ReplyDelete