Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cheesecake is Sexy?

This week in class, we talked about "food porn" and how television shows make food more interesting and make us want it more. "Food porn" is a sensual visual presentation of cooking or eating in advertisements, infomercials, cooking shows, or other visual media. In most cases, these foods are often high in fat and calorie content and they arouse a desire to eat them or can be almost like a substituted for sex. Before class, I never really thought of the cooking channel as this but now I see the shows a bit differently.



This clip from Nigella Lawson is an example of 'food porn' because she makes the cheesecake almost sexy with the words she uses to describe it. Such as smooth, luscious, rich, gorgeous, golden, shiny, perfect, and soft. Also, she makes it seem normal that she is making a cheesecake on a Saturday night in her robe, like everybody does that. The way she describes the cake and show's the cake, it makes me want the cheesecake and almost makes my mouth water thinking of how good it is. In my opinion, I consider that to be food porn, making me want something that I can not have and to cause those physiological responses. Also, the music that is playing in the background is almost like mood setting music to make you feel more sensual. Another thing that I noticed is that the lighting is very dim and can also be thought of as setting the mood.

4 comments:

  1. Do you feel that people are drawn to these shows not because of the food that is being made, but instead, because of sensual atmosphere being shown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should this be considered food porn even to those who don't care about food by means of representation and sensuality ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsey, I do think people are drawn to the food that the show is making at first but I think that over time, a person may find other things about the show that draws them back. It may be the host and how they can relate to them or even just the types of foods they make, may appeal to someone more than other shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will, I think it can be because of the words she choices and the sense of an invitation into her kitchen while she cooks. Also, the lighting and music used during the clip set the mood to be a bit sexy, I think.

    ReplyDelete